With recent GIMP version 2.10, photoshop .abr-Brushes cannot be loaded within GIMP anymore. I found the following way to batch convert the photoshop brushes to PNGs and then to GIMPs native .gbr-brushes.
Step 1: Convert ABR to PNG using abrMate
For creating the PNGs there is already a tool available called abrMate. Download it and open an .abr-File and click “Export all open Brushes to PNG”.
Step 2: Python-Fu Script to convert PNG to GBR
The below code can be used in Python-Fu to convert all the PNGs in a folder into GIMP’s brush format “.gbr”.
- Copy the below code, adjust the variables:
- source_folder: Path of the input folder
- dest_folder: Path of the output folder
- Open Gimp and go to “Menubar >> Filters >> Python-Fu >> Console”.
- Copy your adjusted code into the console and hit enter. The files should be converted accordingly.
from gimpfu import * import os def convert_png_to_gbr(): source_folder = "C:\Temp\PNG" dest_folder = "C:\Temp\GIMPBrushes" for filename in os.listdir(source_folder): print "Convert File: "+filename img = pdb.gimp_file_load(source_folder+"/"+filename,filename) pdb.file_gbr_save(img, img.layers, dest_folder +"/"+ filename+".gbr", filename, 100, filename) convert_png_to_gbr()
- Some special characters like “äöü_-” and whitespace in the path can cause the script to fail.
- The script will fail when one of the folders doesn’t exist, create both before running the script.